While the literacy rate in Kutch is 71.58%, it is alarming to note that for every 100 school-going children, 80 drop out. Various socio-economic factors are responsible for the lack of good education in Kutch. Veerayatan strives to empower the children of this region through quality education via Veerayatan Vidyapeeth. We aim to raise the level of literacy in these areas and help disadvantaged children realize their full potential.
Primary and Secondary Education in Jakhania
The experience of a school as a formal medium of education is a first for many children in the area with girls attending secondary grades for the first time too. A well-rounded education is offered here comprising physical education, music, public speaking, and debate with a focus on good habits and laudable values.
The school is home to modernized hostels for hundreds of children who belong to villages where there are no provisions for good primary and secondary education. It also includes a clean and hygienic kitchen and dining facility with solar energy system for more than 500 students.
Primary, middle, and secondary schooling is offered in Jakhania free of cost or at highly subsided rates for the local community. The school offers classes from Grade 1 to 12 with Gujarati as the medium of communication. Further, a separate English-medium school from Grade 1 to 7 is also being run. Vocational training in electric work, nursing, agriculture, mechanics, and cooking are also included in the school curricular.
Children enroll here from diverse and challenging backgrounds; they successfully compete with distinction in district-level competitions. Academically, the school has seen success in the 10th Board exams with students scoring well.
Veerayatan Institute of Pharmacy
The Indian pharmaceutical industry is worth nearly $4.5 billion and is steadily growing at 8 to 9% annually. There are 300 new chemical, bulk drugs, pharmaceutical and related industries in Kutch, which are collectively receiving Rs 3,000 cr as investment.
Veerayatan identified the growth potential of this industry and set up an institute to provide skill training for potential manpower. Veerayatan Institute of Pharmacy (VIP)* is the first college of pharmacy in Kutch that offers Undergraduate (B. Pharm) and Postgraduate (M. Pharm) Programs. VIP constantly explores new horizons of knowledge through research and development. The college is shaping students for global assignments through technology-based knowledge and vital skills.
*Achievements of VIP
The college is one among the top 4 pharmacy colleges in Gujarat.
- Of all graduates, 100% have passed with good grades in B Pharma and the last 3 batches of GATE and GPAT have also been excellent.
- In the B Pharm GTU (Gujarat Technical University) exam in 2010, VIP was awarded 1st rank in the Rajkot zone and 4th rank in Gujarat.
- After the M Pharm result in 2011, the college was ranked 6th in Gujarat.
- 14 students qualified in GATE – 2009 and 10 students qualified in GPAT – 2010.
- Students have been placed in prestigious national and multinational pharma companies such as Sun Pharma, IPCA Laboratories, Torrent Pharma, Cadila Pharma, Rusan Pharma, etc.
Veerayatan Institute of Pharmacy-Jakhania- www.veepharm.org
Veerayatan Institute of Management and Computer Applications
Apart from pharma, Veerayatan focuses on other job-oriented professional courses in Kutch for up-and-coming industries. This step will go a long way in providing employment for the youth of the region.
Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) and Bachelor of Computer Administration (BCA) degrees (affiliated to the University of Kutch) have been identified as practical options for immediate employment after graduation in 3 short years. They are also a source of pride for local families whose children achieve these high qualifications for the first time in generations.
Highlights of Veerayatan’s BBA and BCA Colleges:
- A holistic environment ideal for academic and professional growth.
- A dedicated academic team with rich knowledge and experience in the respective fields.
- Modern library facility with large stock of textbooks, reference books, journals and magazines including institutional membership of British Library, Ahmedabad.
- Regular industrial visits and practical project work.
- Guest lectures by renowned professionals from Ahmedabad Management Association (AMA), Computer Society of India (CSI), FMCG companies and overseas.
- Special arrangement for teaching ‘communication English’ by experienced faculty.
- Personalized care for weaker students, counseling, and regular interaction with parents.
- Scholarship schemes for girls to promote education among the gender.
Veerayatan Institute of Management and Computer Applications – www.veerbbabca.org